Introduction of Little Andaman (Hut Bay)
Little Andaman (Hutbay)
Little Andaman Island, located south of the South Andaman Island, is at a distance of 120 km. by sea from Port Blair. Hut Bay in Little Andaman is the entry and exit point and also the island headquarter. Little Andaman island offers a perfect mix of white sandy beaches bewitching Waterfalls, Boating through the Creeks, exciting Elephant Safari, Elephant lumbering, Elephant calves training, Surfing etc. All the places of tourist interest are approachable by the road, leading northwards from the Hutbay Jetty. Little Andaman has an evergreen rain forest which paves way for a very rich biodiversity. Little Andaman offers the best exposure, even if the season is quite short due to the monsoon which hits the sector from May to August. From November to February some southwest spots, accessible by sea, remain passable. Surfing is fast gaining in popularity in the island as an activity option with small resorts renting out surfboards and arranging for surf camps near Butler Bay beach whose waves make it the best surfing destination in India. Little Andaman has been covered as a prime surfing
destination in India in " The Stormrider Surf Guide, Indonesia and the Indian Ocean". There is a private agency which runs a Surfing School at Little Andaman.
Butler Bay Beach.
The most famous and beautiful beach in Little Andamans is the Butler Bay Beach. It lies at a distance of 14 kms from the Hut Bay Jetty. Butler Bay is a beautiful beach suitable for Sun Basking, Coral Viewing, Surfing, etc. Accommodation facilities - hut-type resorts - are available nearby. Boating through the creek near the beach is an exciting experience
Netaji Nagar Beach
Netaji Nagar Beach, 11-kms from the Hutbay Jetty is a white sandy beach suitable for sun basking.
Waterfalls : White Surf and Whisper Wave:
There are two waterfalls in the island. White Surf waterfall which is 6.5 kms from Hut Bay Jetty in the midst of the evergreen rainforest is an ideal picnic spot. The waterfall is big and true to its name – Whit Surf. The sight of white foamy water streaming down a small hill is worth watching. The entire place is covered with lush green forests and is ideal for nature lovers. You may also trek to the top of the waterfall which is kind of a pool up on the hill. There are a few small creeks that you would cross when you walk for the waterfall. Whisper Wave Located 25-km from the Hutbay Jetty. This waterfall is also in the midst of the jungle. Journey to this waterfall includes 4-km trekking through the forest which involves a trek through the rain forest.
The Andaman & Nicobar Forest and Plantation Development Corporation Ltd. which operates the Red oil Palm plantation also has elephants for its forestry operation and elephant calves training inside the forest. Some of the elephants are available for jungle ride in spare time. Do check out for availability with ANFPDCL.
Red Oil Palm
Little Andaman is famous for its Red Oil Palm Plantation run by ANIFPDCL, 11-km from the jetty. The plantation is spread over an area of 1,593 hectares. A factory for extraction of palm oil is also run by the ANIFPDCL. Tourist can visit the plantation as well as the factory and see the different stages of oil palm fruit production and oil extraction. This can be visited while traveling between the white surf waterfall and butler bay beach.
What to do ?
- Activities at the island involve snorkeling, Diving, Swimming, Game Fishing, Coral watching, Sun Basking etc.
- Boating at the creek near Butler Bay gives a chance to the bird watchers to catch a glimpse of species like Hawabill and Nicobarese pigeon. Creek Boating facility has been provided by ANIFPDCL in the creek near to the Butler Bay Beach, which is also home to some of the rarest marine turtles.
- The northern side of the Butler Bay Beach is popular surfing site. Corals are available in the nearby areas. Tourists have to carry necessary equipments along with them for the above purposes.
- There are beaches like Netaji Nagar and Harminder Bay Beach. Netaji Nagar Beach is good for a visit but not for activities like Snorkeling.
- Auto rickshaws, taxis, buses, motorbikes and cycles are available for transport within the island. Resort owners in Little Andaman also hire out vehicles including two wheelers. They also arrange for snorkeling, swimming, boat tickets, etc.